Making a submission

A man placing note cards in a grid pattern on a table.

How to make a submission in support or objection of a DA

To make a submission in support or objection of a development application (DA), you can email or mail your submission to council before the closing date. Be sure to include the DA number and address in your submission.

If your submission is an objection, clearly state the reasons for your objection. Council officers will assess the DA against planning criteria and state legislation, and will acknowledge receipt of your submission. Submissions are not confidential and may be published on the council's website.

Council also has a Making a DA Submission Fact Sheet(PDF, 666KB) to assist with making a submission. If significant changes are made to the proposal, council will contact you. Determinations may be made at a council meeting, and you may book a time to speak at the meeting if you wish. Council will inform all persons who made a submission of the outcome.

You can track the progress of a DA on the council's website and contact customer service on (02) 6625 0500 with any queries.

Public disclosure

Should you make a submission, you must also make a public disclosure of any donation to a Councillor and/or gift to a Councillor or Council employee in the previous two years. Failure to disclose relevant information is an offence under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. It is also an offence to make a false statement. Political donations disclosure reporting forms are available from the Department of Planning.

Open Access Information

The Government Information (Public Access) Regulation 2018 states that information contained in development applications and associated documents is open to the public, with exceptions for certain residential plans and specifications, commercial information that would prejudice the supplier's position or reveal trade secrets, and development applications made before July 2010.

Copyright Owner's Consent

A reproduction of material that is protected by copyright may be a copyright infringement. A reproduction that is authorised by the copyright owner will not constitute an infringement. Copyright can apply to materials other than architectural plans and drawings. Specialist reports, surveys, landscape design plans and drawings are all likely to be protected by copyright. These records are for viewing purposes only.

Property owners' consent is required to view certain residential plans and copyright owner's consent is required to view copyrighted materials.

There is a processing fee for emailing copies of open access documents and hard copies can be viewed for free at Lismore City Council Corporate Centre.

Enquiries should be directed to the Public Officer and online services are only monitored during council business hours.

Open Information Request