Plumbing works

A worker directs a crane placing a large pipe in the ground.

Step 1: Approval

Before commencing any works, a plumber must obtain approval from the local council under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 for development activity and plumbing work, including water supply (B1), sewerage (B4), stormwater drainage (B5), connecting private to public drains/sewers (B6), and disposing of waste into a council-controlled sewer (C4).

Approval can be sought through a stand-alone application or as part of a development application under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

To apply with a DA, tick the Section 68 approval box on the form, for a stand-alone application, submit the Section 68 application form to the council with fees and plans.

Section 68 Activity Approval Application Guide(PDF, 972KB)

Application for Approval to Carry Out an Activity (Section 68)(PDF, 137KB)

Step 2: Notification

After obtaining approval, a licensed plumber must submit a Notice of Work to the council at least 2 days before starting the work, as required by the Plumbing and Drainage Act. There is no fee for this notice.

The plumber must review any conditions of approval that apply to the work. The Notice of Work can be applied for online or can be downloaded from NSW Fair Trading, along with the combined Notice of Work and Certificate of Compliance form, and standard drawings for Sewer Service Diagrams which can be filled out and submitted to the council.

Step 3: Inspections

The licensed plumber must call for inspections by contacting Council on (02) 6625 0500. Typically, inspections can be paid at lodgement of the DA or the Notice of Work. It is the licensed plumber’s responsibility to ensure inspections are paid for prior to booking inspections. The number of inspections required will depend on the type and nature of the work.

Step 4: Compliance

A licensed plumber must submit a Certificate of Compliance to the council within 2 days of completing the work, as per the Plumbing and Drainage Act.

If sewerage work was carried out, the certificate must be accompanied by a Sewerage Service Diagram.

If any fire services or testable backflow prevention devices were installed, the plumber must also submit test reports for these services with the certificate.

Contact the Development Engineer on (02) 6625 0500 for further information or visit the NSW Fair Trading website.

Notice of Work

You will find the combined Notice of Work and Certificate of Compliance form at NSW Fair Trading as well as standard drawings for Sewer Service Diagrams that you can print, fill out and submit to Council.

Apply for Notice of Work