Noise issues

A man and woman with pillows over their ears.

Neighbourhood noise such as barking dogs, car alarms, machinery, and parties can be annoying, but you may be able to resolve the issue without involving Council or a government agency.

For further information regarding neighbourhood noise refer to NSW EPA fact sheet.

Try talking to your neighbours about the noise problem first.

If that does not work, you can seek mediation and conflict management services from a Community Justice Centre. These centres provide free, confidential, impartial, accessible and voluntary services.

You can contact the Northern Community Justice Centre at 1800 990 777 or via email at

Pubs and clubs

The Office of Liquor and Gaming manages noise from licensed premises such as pubs and clubs. When the Office licenses these premises, it may place environmental noise conditions on the licence. For more information contact NSW Liquor and Gaming

How we can help

If you make a noise complaint, the following steps may be taken depending on the case: investigation of the complaint, warning to the offender and request for action, issuing a formal notice/order, and enforcement (such as issuing penalty notices or taking court action).

Council can serve notices under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act) on people occupying homes and businesses requiring them to control noise and advising of acceptable noise levels.

To make a noise complaint, you can contact Lismore Police at (02) 6626 0599 or Council at (02) 6625 0500 or via email at