The Australia Day Awards are to recognise and celebrate members of our community who have volunteered their time to make our city as even better place to live, work and raise a family.
Nominations are open for those who have contributed big or small and have made a difference to our community.
If you know someone who has made a difference and you think they should be recognised, please take 30 seconds to nominate them.
Australia Day Categories
- Citizen of the Year
- Aboriginal Citizen of the Year
- Young Citizen of the Year
- Sportsperson (Senior)
- Sportsperson (Junior)
- Services in Community (Group)
- Services in Community (Individual)
- Sports Team (Group/Organisation)
Nominations close on Friday, 22 December 2023.
2023 Citizen of the year Sophia Watt
2022 Citizen of the Year Di Lymbury
2021 Citizen of the Year Dr Ian Cappe
2020 Citizen of the year David Henderson
2019 Citizen of the Year Aliison Kelly
- Nominees are eligible if they live, represent, carry out community work or attend an educational institution in the Lismore LGA
- Individual nominees must be an Australian citizen and have contributed significantly to the Lismore community
- Junior Sportsperson nominees are to be 17 years of age and under
- Young Citizen of the Year nominees are to be 30 years of age and under
- Self-nomination is not permitted
- Clubs, associations and organisations cannot nominate themselves but can be nominated by a member of the organisation
- Clubs, associations and organisations can be nominated by a non-member of the organisation
- Nominees who have previously been nominated but have not received an Australia Day Award are eligible
- The following people are NOT eligible to enter:
- Members of Parliament or current elected members of Lismore City Council
- Members of the Australia Day Awards Committee
- Category winners from the previous two years
The Lismore City Council, representing the Department of Home Affairs, organises regular citizenship ceremonies to warmly welcome new Australian citizens into our community.
If you wish to become an Australian citizen, you can follow these steps:
- Apply to become an Australian citizen through the Department of Home Affairs.
- Upon approval of your citizenship application, the Department of Home Affairs will send you an email invitation to attend the ceremony.
Upcoming citizenship ceremony: Date: Friday, 26 January 2024