How to hire a park or public space

How do I hire a park and what does it cost?

The hire of parks is generally free, however, if Council resources such as bins, use of power or public liability insurance are required, fees may apply. There may be a deposit required or you may have to pay a casual hire fee. These need to be paid in full prior to the event.

In order to hire a park, simply fill out our Park Booking Form. Include the dates, times, type of event, number of people attending and any additional requirements and lodge at our Corporate Centre.

People should be aware that parks and other public open spaces are there for the enjoyment of the whole community, and therefore your booking does not grant exclusive use of the park or open space.

Do I need public liability insurance?

Council requires public liability insurance to the value of $10,000,000 to hire any Council park, reserve or facility. If you don’t have insurance, Council can provide a Casual Hirer's Public Liability Permit. Contact us and we can arrange insurance for a small fee.

Does my event require any other consent?

Some activities will require you to fill out an Events Application and pay a small fee. This includes:

  • The erection of a temporary structure (including a marquee).
  • The use of a public announcement system.
  • Delivering public addresses or public meetings.
  • The preparation or sale of food and beverages.
  • Use of amusement rides such as jumping castles.

You will need to fill out the Section 68 section of the Events Application. A description of the proposed event including date, hours, details of what the activity involves and approximate number of people attending needs to be attached to the application along with a map showing the location of the event. Please lodge this with us 14 days prior to the event.

For more information phone us on 1300 87 83 87.