Eat the Street receives $20,000 to boost visitor numbers

Wednesday, 21 February 2018

Lismore’s annual street food festival Eat the Street has been awarded $20,000 from the NSW Government to promote the 2018 event.

The funding was awarded under the 2018 Flagship Event Fund as part of the NSW Government’s goal to double overnight visitor expenditure in NSW by 2020.

“The Flagship Event Fund identifies and assists the marketing activities of events that contribute to the unique character of the tourism regions of NSW and can demonstrate that they attract overnight visitation,” Lismore MP Thomas George said.

“Eat the Street has shown itself to be an event that people love and I have no doubt it will continue to grow and bring more visitors to our wonderful region.”

Eat the Street won a silver gong at the NSW Tourism Awards last year against events that were significantly larger and had been running for longer. City Centre Manager Jason Mumford said the growth of Eat the Street is what made it stand out, and it had the potential to get bigger and better every year.

“We knew it was a great idea for Lismore but even we were surprised by the reaction – people in this region love food and embraced the food festival from day one,” Jason said.

“Funds to market this event to a wider audience and bring people to Lismore, not just for the day but overnight or for the weekend, is what starts to have a ripple effect across the whole city. Every new visitors helps our motels and hotels, clubs, pubs, restaurant, cafes and the retail sector.

“This funding is a very welcome cherry on top for our 2018 festival.”


Image: Lismore MP Thomas George and City Centre Manager Jason Mumford at the announcement on Wednesday.
 

News Updates